Designed by the Canada Safety Council, the Defensive Driving Course (DDC) is one of Canada’s most widely used driver training programs. This in-class course focuses on the driver and driving attitudes and features proven safe and defensive driving strategies.
Themes include: elements of defensive driving, causes of collisions, preventing collisions, the pre-trip inventory, eye-lead time, time interval formula, safe passing techniques, and many others. A low participant-to-instructor ratio maximizes opportunities for participation and dialogue.
For employees who drive either a company vehicle or their own vehicle on the job, safe driving is a matter of occupational safety.
Upon successful completion, participants will be able to:
- understand critical defensive driving terminology and concepts
- recognize safety hazards for the driver and the vehicle in specific road conditions and traffic environments
- identify key strategies for dealing with potential safety hazards
- drive safely on a consistent basis by applying appropriate knowledge, skills, and attitudes as well as specific collision avoidance techniques
- understand the challenges faced by other types of road users and vehicles, such as commercial trucks, motorcycles, bicyclists, and pedestrians
- recognize the effects of changes in legislation, driver behaviours, and technology on the current road culture
- identify critical issues that policies and procedures must address in order to establish due diligence
The Defensive Driving Course is an established, proven program designed to produce:
- fewer company-vehicle collisions
- less absenteeism due to injuries and court time
- life-long safe driving habits
Course includes certification by Canada Safety Council, a workbook, and a laminated DDC wallet card. This certification is recognized by the Ministry of Transportation as a Driver Improvement course and may satisfy specified licensing requirements.
Rate: $600 session based on minimum 6 participants (maximum 20)
Registration fee per person extra.