The EMS Beyond Basics™ driver training program is an advanced in-vehicle program for the paramedic. During the 90-minute session, the driver trainer will evaluate the driver’s ability to gather and process information as well as the driver’s application of defensive and co-operative driving techniques.
Moving “Beyond” basic defensive driving principles, our program deals with the reality of driver inattention. The distractions that are introduced during this drive will help the driver recognize how easily the safe operation of a vehicle can be compromised.
This drive allows the driver trainer to determine
- what information the driver recognizes as relevant (risk assessment)
- the choice of strategies the driver chooses to implement (risk management)
- Dynamic Time and Space Management skills
Once the driver’s skills and abilities, strengths and weaknesses have been identified, the driver trainer will provide informative instruction based upon the individual needs of each driver to increase safety margins in weak areas.
The Areas Addressed:
- Headway Management Skills
- Vehicle Handling Skills
- Dynamic Time Management Skills
- Dynamic Space Management Skills
- Speed Management Skills
- Situational Awareness Skills
- Co-operative/Defensive Driving Skills
During this session, the driver will also gain a better understanding of anti-lock braking, cooperative driving skills as well as strategies for avoiding head-on and rear collisions.
The driver’s recognition of the importance of utilizing defensive/co-operative driving strategies will be greatly enhanced by this session as well as the risks presented when inattention or distractions are involved.